Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Life Well Read

I've been off the blog for a little bit because my main computer kinda died in December and I am currently having a friend look at it.  Until then, I have borrowed an old lap top of another friend.  Have I ever mentioned that I'm a desktop kind of girl.  So I've been reluctant to blog off of the laptop because I usually have a hard time typing, but after about a month and a half, I think I have finally gotten the hang of it.

So a couple weeks ago I was talking with my mom about the book I was reading for my second book club, The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  While I was telling my mom about the book she kind of stopped me and told me that she wasn't interested.  When I asked her why she said, "I once read an article that said that a well-read person reads about 5,000 books in my life.  The older I get, the more I realized that I won't have that many more books to read in my life.  I want to make every book count - so I'm picky about books I want to read and that one doesn't seem like one I would want to read."

That really made me think about how much I read.  In order to read 5,000 books by the time I turn 50, I would have to read about 100 books a year every year.  I can tell you that I definitely don't read that many books a year.  So this year I am trying to read more books. 

My first effort to do that is I entered the What's In A Name 4 Book Challenge:

This is my first book challenge, so I think it's good that its a small one.  The way it works is that during the year, I must read one book in each of the following categories:
  1. A book with a number in the title
  2. A book with jewelry or a gem in the title
  3. A book with a size in the title
  4. A book with travel or movement in the title
  5. A book with evil in the title
  6. A book with a life stage in the title
This is my first book challenge, so I think it's good that its a small one.  I have already read one book - Wicked Appetite (Category 5) and I am in the middle of a book that will satisfy Category 3 (The Thin Man).

I've also challenged myself on Goodreads to read 28 books this year. 

No comments: